We're open 24/7 and ready to help you during COVID-19 with Sanitization Solutions.

Get Help Now! (901) 302-4949
Get Help Now! (901) 302-4949
Memphis Metro LogoLogo
Call Today! (901) 302-4949
Call Today! (901) 302-4949
Memphis Metro Logo

Mold Poisoning in Dogs – What to Be Aware Of

Published by SEO on December 29, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

911 Restoration Mold Poisoning Dogs Memphis MetroWe have seen many instances where mold poisoning has turned deadly for pets, especially dogs. It begins with people finding their dogs to have health problems and then quickly escalates if the proper precautions aren’t exercised. According to our mold restoration experts, this only happens if a dog consumes a lot of mold spores over some time. 

If you have a mold problem at your home, the chances are that your dog will find the source long before you do because of their acute sense of smell. Whether they lick the infected spot, try to bite it, or the mold spores somehow make their way into your dog’s bowl, the consequences can be rather tragic. 

In this article, we will look at how you can reduce the risk posed to your dogs because of water damage at home and mold, signs you need to keep an eye out for, and how mold restoration services can help you mitigate this risk.

How Does Mold Affect Dogs?

There is a reason why you should get mold-related issues fixed as quickly as possible. Mold releases spores that can enter your lungs and release deadly toxins and lead to allergies, asthma, infections, cough, wheezing, and in rare cases, hypersensitivity pneumonitis as well. 

Because dogs have a much weaker immune system than humans, it is no secret that this makes them more susceptible to mold-related illnesses than humans. For example, dogs with shorter noses (such as the bulldog, terriers, mastiffs, boxers, and more) have a much higher risk of developing allergies than others when exposed to fungus or spores, while those that have longer tongues (such as pit bulls, pugs, Pekingese, mastiffs, and more) have a higher chance of ingesting mold-infected items. 

There are thousands of different mold species out there, but each one may not be toxic to your dog. Furthermore, even black mold may take some time to show the effect of its toxicity – and even longer for it to be fatal. So, if your dog is starting to get sick because of mold, you might have had a mold problem for quite some time. 

The most common types of mold at homes that can be dangerous for dogs include:

  • Aspergillus
  • Cladosporium
  • Stachybotrys (black mold)

Mold Poisoning in Dogs – Symptoms

Following are some common mold poisoning symptoms to keep an eye out for in dogs:

  • Loud wheezing sound when breathing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Constant coughs and sneezing
  • Nasal discharge
  • Drooling
  • Lethargy and an inability for the dog to concentrate (a sign of fever because of an infection)
  • Bleeding nose and mouth without any source

There are two main ways a dog can get infected with mold:

  1. If your dog inhales mold spores. Usually, inhaling mold spores takes quite a while. The spores will first cause irritation in the lungs, but once they settle, your dog will have a lung infection and start wheezing/coughing. 
  2. Suppose your dog ingests moldy foods. In this case, mold spores will enter the stomach. If you are lucky, your dog will get diarrhea (even though it doesn’t sound lucky) and pass the spores out. Make sure you change your dog’s food immediately in this case. This is a case where mold restoration companies recommend you give freshly opened canned food to your pet. If the mold spores enter your dog’s bloodstream, there is a perfect chance that it will develop a very high fever and won’t be able to move. Symptoms would include:
  1. Vomiting
  2. Diarrhea
  3. Stool change
  4. Decreased appetite

In both cases, your dog may get an allergic reaction at first. NEVER underestimate the meaning of a sneezing dog. You should get it checked immediately. Other signs of an allergic reaction include:

  • Excessive scratching
  • Exciting licking 
  • Constant chewing
  • Inflamed skin
  • Dry skin
  • Scaly skin
  • Excessive hair loss

If the veterinarian confirms that your dog is, indeed, sick because of mold poisoning, it is crucial that you immediately call a mold restoration company and have them clean out a section for you to keep your dog in. In such a vulnerable stage, your dog needs a place to recover.

There is a good chance that mold poisoning symptoms may resemble other diseases. So ask a verified expert before making any decision. 

Suppose your dog has gotten mold poisoning while at your place; the chances are that the spores will most likely affect you and your family soon as well. Don’t hesitate before call us for help. You can also call us just to check if your house has mold. We use dampness monitors and other equipment to confirm whether or not you have mold or not and to find its source. 

You may want to ease your don’t pain, but do NOT treat any of the mold’s symptoms on your own. You may just end up making things worse. 

If you have any questions or concerns or think you need a mold restoration company in Memphis Metro, give us a call. We’d love to help!

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (901) 302-4949
3175 Elmore St. Ste 9 Rm 3 Memphis, Tn. 38134
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply